The Election Commission of India (ECI) has announced the polling dates for the 16th Lok Sabha. The 9-phase poll will be held from 7th April to 12th May. The counting of votes and results will be declared on May 16th. The world's biggest election process has charged up the political arena of the country. World's eye will definitely be set on India during the election period.
The poll will be held in Patna on April 17th. Both the Lok Sabha constituencies in Patna - Patna Sahib and Patliputra will for poll on the same day. The election in the whole of state will be held in 6 phases - April 10, 17, 24 and 30 and May 7 and May 12. The 15th Lok Sabha MPs from these two constituencies were :
- Pataliputra Constituency : Ranjan Prasad Yadav [JD(U)]
- Patna Sahib Constituency : Shatrughan Sinha [BJP]
The total number of eligible voters is 39,60,245 which includes 21,39,228 males and 18,21,017 females. The constituency wise distribution is as follow :
- Pataliputra Constituency : Total voters 16,61,590 which includes 8,93,217 males and 7,68,373 females
- Patna Sahib Constituency : Total voters : 18,13,002 which include 9,81,188 males and 8,31,814 females
The election in Patna and other areas in the state will be held under the strict vigilance of state's chief electoral officer (CEO) Ajay V Nayak. Adequate security arrangement will be made to avert any kind of disturbance.
Update 19th March, 2014
The various dates for the election process in the two constituencies in Patna has been released by the Election commission.
- 26th March, 2014 (Wednesday) : as the last day for making nomination
- 27th March, 2014 (Thursday) : as the day for scrutiny of nominations
- 29th March, 2014 (Saturday) : as the last day for withdrawal of candidatures
The polling will be held from 07:00 AM to 06:00 PM on 17th April, 2014 (Thursday) for both the constituencies in Patna - 31-Pataliputra and 30-Patna Sahib. The total number of booths in Patna Sahib Constituency will be 1713 whereas for Pataliputra Constituency, it will be 1716.
(Source - Election Commission of India)