Patna is well connected by rail with the rest of the country. It is situated on the rail track between New Delhi and Kolkata, which is one of busiest railway route in India. Trains ply from Patna to all the major destination in the country and reaches to every state, except few in the North-East India. It is the major station of the city supported by four subsidiary station - Rajendra Nagar Terminal, Gulzarbagh, Danapur and Patna Saheb. Another subsidiary station named as Patliputra is waiting for its inauguration. Patna Junction is also the biggest station of East-Central Railways zone, headquartered at Hazipur, some 25 km from Patna(by road). On an average, it receives 1.25 footfalls with around 250 pairs of trains passing through this junction per day, making it one of the busiest station in the country.
Patna Junction has been in operation since 1914 and it has greatly helped in the growth of the city. Major renovation work was carried out in the last decade, which resulted in present building. The junction boast of all the facilities available, like Reservation counter, Ticket counter, Canteen and Cafeterias, Police station etc. Being on the main route, it is one of the busiest station of the Northern India. All trains have stoppage here. One can reach to any part of the country from here. The Junction is categorized in A1 category in terms of earnings by the Indian railway.The Junction has two entrance. The other entrance is called Karbigahia End and one can reach the Mithapur private bus stand using this entrance. The station has ample parking space. Horse cart parking space is still there to remind the old times. Patna junction will be among the selected stations in the country where escalators would be installed. By mid-2014, it will have four escalators at various location inside the station building. It will greatly ease the inconvenience caused to the women, children and old people. Witnessing the busy train traffic at the Patna Junction, subsidiary stations like Rajendra Nagar Terminal and Danapur station has been developed. Both this stations have all the facilities. The other two stations - Gulzarbagh and Patna Saheb station also helps in maintaining the congestion at the Patna Junction. Patna Saheb is the nearest railway station to Har Mandir Takht.
Patliputra Station is the newly built railways station in Patna, which became functional in November 2013. It is built at the cost of Rs 1.5 crore as part of the Digha rail bridge and is located on Bailey Road near Rukunpura. The Station has been furnished with the amenities along with booking counters, passenger reservation system, parcel office, waiting hall and other infrastructure. The station is having three platforms.
A first glimpse after coming out of Patna Junction is of Mahavir Mandir, situated at the station entrance. It attracts large number of people across the state. An Indian Railway Engine, marked 2805 Y P, and painted in black, brown and yellow color, welcomes the passenger at the Junction. Big hoardings are placed at every easily view able place. Just in front of Junction is the Buddha Smriti Park, which has been developed with international collaboration. The tall minars of Mosque adjoining Mahavir Mandir also attract attention. The area around junction is heavily congested. The buses, cars, autos, rickshaws and bikes compete each other for the minimal spaces available, making the life of pedestrians miserable. The temple, the mosque and the park adds chaos to the surroundings.
It is advisable to reach the Junction before time for catching any train, as the traffic may get block at any moment. Use the subsidiary stations, if the trains have stoppage there, as they are less crowded. Beware of pickpocket, as normal in such heavily crowded place.
Patna Junction and adjoining area in itself a very interesting place to visit. The life in a big city gets a true meaning here. From the second floor of Mahavir Mandir, one can have nice viewing of the adjoining area and city's landscape. The area is also dotted with markets. The station market has shops of daily use commodities, so one can enjoy the market. Being situated in the center of the city, it is easily accessible. Railway station code for the stations are :
- Patna Station Code : PNBE
- Rajendra Nagar Terminal Code : RJBP
- Gulzarbagh : GZH
- Patna Saheb : PNC
- Patliputra : PPTA
Note : When in Patna, dial '139' to get the required information on trains through IVRS or call center. The passenger can avail the pre-paid auto service at the Patna junction.
Mahaveer Mandir ~ 30 m
Buddha Smriti Park ~ 50 m
Proposed connectivity of Patna Junction with Patna Metro rail :
- Patna Junction is one of the proposed metro station in Corridor- 1A (East West Metro Corridor) of Phase - I. It lies between the proposed metro station of Income Tax Circle and Chanakya Law University.
- The proposed Patna Junction Metro Station is also the starting station of Corridor - II (North-South Metro Corridor) of Phase - I. The route connects Patna Junction to ISBT.
Important trains originating/passing by Patna :
Note : The timings/days/train number etc. are prone to change. Therefore, please confirm from Indian railways website/railways station about the same. The below list is updated (as of May 2013). To get the exhaustive list of all trains originating/passing by Patna, please visit the railways website.
Notations : U - Up, D - Down, Mon - Monday, Tue - Tuesday, Wed - Wednesday, Thur - Thursday, Fri - Friday, Sat - Saturday, Sun - Sunday. All timing in 24-Hour format.
- 12393 U - Sampurn Kranti Super Fast Express - 18:00 - Daily
- 12394 D - Sampurn Kranti Super Fast Express - 06:55 - Daily
- 12142 U - Kshtrapati Shivaji Terminal Express - 11:10 - Daily
- 12141 D - Kshtrapati Shivaji Terminal Express - 04:15 - Daily
- 12353 U - Bhagalpur-Anand Vihar Garib Rath - 19:15 - Tue, Thur, Sat
- 12354 D - Anand Vihar-Bhagalpur Garib Rath - 05:55 - Mon, Wed, Fri
- 12309 U - Patna-Rajdhani - 19:25 - Daily
- 12310 D - Patna-Rajdhani - 6:00 - Daily
- 12391 U - Shramjeevi Express - 10:50 - Daily
- 12392 D - Shramjeevi Express - 07:30 - Daily
- 12367 U - Vikramshila Express - 16:55 - Daily
- 12368 D - Vikramshila Express - 06:40 - Daily
- 12023 U - Howrah-Patna JanSatabadi - 22:15 - Except Sunday
- 12024 D - Howrah-Patna JanSatabadi - 05:50 - Except Sunday
- 12365 U - Patna-Ranchi JanSatabadi - 06:00 - Daily
- 12436 D - Patna-Ranchi JanSatabadi - 22:15 - Daily
- 12401 U - Islampur-Delhi Magadh Express - 18:10 - Daily
- 12402 D - Delhi-Islampur Magadh Express - 11:30 - Daily
- 18626 U - Patna-Hatia Express - 11:40 - Daily
- 18625 D - Hatia-Patna Express - 15:40 - Daily
- 18623 U - Rajendra Nagar-Hatia - 21:45 - Daily
- 18624 D - Hatia-Rajendra Nagar - 06:40 - Daily
- 13330 U - Ganga-Damodar Express - 23:30 - Daily
- 13329 D - Ganga-Damodar Express - 05:15 - Daily
- 13401 U - Bhagalpur Intercity - 11:20 - Except Sunday
- 13402 D - Bhagalpur Intercity - 16:40 - Except Sunday
- 12423 U - Dibrugarh-Rajdhani - 21:50 - Tue, Wed, Thur, Sat, Sun
- 12424 D - Dibrugarh-Rajdhani - 02:10 - Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat
- 12303 U - Poorva Express - 16:15 - Mon,Tue,Fri,Sat
- 12304 D - Poorva Express - 08:05 - Wed, Thur, Sat, Sun
- 13005 U - Punjab Mail - 04:20 - Daily
- 13006 D - Punjab Mail - 21:45 - Daily
- 12359 U - Kolkata Garibrath - 05:30 - Mon, Tue, Sat
- 12360 D - Kolkata Garibrath - 20:10 - Wed, Fri, Sun
- 14055 U - Brahmaputra Mail - 13:05 - Daily
- 14056 D - Brahmaputra Mail - 14:55 - Daily
- 12333 U - Bibhuti Express - 04:45 - Daily
- 12334 D - Bibhuti Express - 22:35 - Daily
- 12355 U - Archana Express - 07:30 - Tue, Sat
- 12356 D - Archana Express - 22:55 - Wed, Sun
- 12395 U - Jiyarat Express - 19:15 - Wed
- 12396 D - Jiyarat Express - 10:00 - Fri
- 12295 U - Sanghmitra Express - 19:55 - Daily
- 12296 D - Sanghmitra Express - 09:20 - Daily
Related articles :